46-gun fifth-rate launched in 1829 but completed in 1843 as a paddle frigate, and sold for breakup in 1864.
The Paddle Frigate was part of an experiment by the Royal Navy to build steam powered fighting ships between 1815-1850. Some ships were built for surveying and exploration.
The Royal Navy began to build steam vessels in 1815 as tugs to two sailing vessels out of harbour. Their free mobility independent of wind led to their use in coastal operations (such as in the South China Sea). The Royal Navy began to heavily arm these vessels in the 1840's as they came to appreciate the importance of the steamship which could move freely in a calm or against the wind and strategically, could be relied on to arrive at its destination at a planned time. The biggest problems with these ships was their frequent dependence on supplies of coal. The big paddle wheels and their sponsons considerably reduced the number of guns which could be carried and the machinery cost as much as the ship which made their total cost about double that of a sailing ship of similar size. These ships represented the most advanced technology of their day.